Wednesday 11 September 2013

Well great excitement as you can see from my earlier piccie. Not only did my new chef outfit arrive today in the post but also some knives, a digital thermometer, a new pastry brush (apparently I need a flat one not a round one), some cloths and plastic scrapers. Who would have thought it possible to get so excited over an outfit that frankly made me look like I was wearing pyjamas.
Been another busy day here, and despite having to help cover yet more exercise books I have managed to get cracking on a sour dough loaf and got around to making the flapjacks from yesterday. I also learnt how to upload a photo to my blog, get an app on my phone to 'blog on the go', and squeeze in 5 hours at work!
Some time ago my neighbours gave me a sour dough starter which I carefully nurtured and fed for about a year, making bread about twice a week. However after a while my bread craze fizzled a little and my starter was sitting in the fridge being sadly neglected and it  suddenly appeared to be taking up too much room in the fridge, so one day in a tidying frenzy I decided in my wisdom that I would throw it out.
3 months later and I regretted my rashness, and so a couple of weeks ago I started  again and this time I have made my own starter! it didn't smell great for the first few days and then suddenly it began to have appley undertones and now it is positively fruity! And so this morning at 8.30 I began  by mixing 150mls of my starter with 100grams of flour and 150 mls of warm water, by the time I got in from work it was frothy and so I have added another 500grams of white bread flour, salt and 200 mls of water to the mix giving it a good kneading and left it sitting in my fridge for a slow overnight proving. I have just had a peek and it is looking good.  My plan is to knock it back in the morning and let it prove again before baking  it tomorrow when I get in from work.
My flapjacks are a family favourite and I made them whilst we watched last nights bake off on catchup tv.
Hubbie just back from a scout leader meeting only to inform me I am in charge of catering for scout camp!!! I have £65 to feed 25 people a light supper, breakfast and lunch. so I am now off to have a think????



No comments:

Post a Comment