Friday 13 September 2013

Autumn Cake

Having picked a large basket of apples yesterday, and loads of blackberries last Sunday whilst D played rugby ( I had popped them in the freezer), today had to be a baking day. After a rummage through some back copies of Good Food magazine last night I found a recipe for an apple and blackberry cake and although the recipe says use eaters I have used my Bramleys as I have found that they are not too sharp.
It's a basic cake mix ratio 125g butter/sugar/3 eggs 100g flour with the addition of 50g of ground almonds. Then gently fold in the chopped apples and blackberries, and top with a mix of chopped toasted hazelnuts, Demerara sugar, cinnamon and little tiny flakes of butter. 55mins later having just  enough time for a quick walk with Tarry between the downpours and the smell in the kitchen as I came back in  delicious!
Packed lunches today were sour dough bread sarnies and flapjack-yum, however tomorrow I must try to go for a run as haven't managed to go at all this week and I feel that a course in patisserie is going to require some serious effort to burn off all the additional calories!
Have a little bit of research to do this weekend and want to have a go at a focaccia as I believe we are making one next Tuesday and also have a look at different flavours for Chelsea buns.
Hubby just in from work so off to microwave a chilli con carni now which I cooked this afternoon  my biggest pot, a vast amount of chilli so as to freeze little ones so they have ready meals for when  I'm not here and am off having fun at college.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment