Wednesday 2 October 2013

Reviews appear promising!

Last nights cakes appear to be going down well today, husband has taken some of the Chelsea buns with him into work and I have also been handing out offerings at work today. Kids have yet to pass judgement as iced fingers were not on the breakfast menu this morning! They will have to wait until they get home from school this afternoon.
Anyway the first assessment went well, however I scored 22 out of 23 on my theory test as I stupidly put panettone down as a bun dough when I suppose it is really a speciality dough. I think I was thinking enriched dough and not bun dough which it is, but quite correctly I have never had a bun panettone, silly me!
Then on to the practical test, Adam our tutor had scaled up the recipe from last week so we get to bake more and only present our 4 best products of each type. But a disaster had occurred in that the proving oven was not working as it had blown something, and so I proved my dough in another type of oven which was very moist, but didn't seem to make the dough rise quite as well as usual. The last few times I have made the iced fingers they have joined together and I thought that they were rather too close together so I positioned them a little further apart this time and they didn't touch at all!- never mind the shapes were even and the size consistent thanks to my electronic scales, sized at 70g each. The icing went like a dream, much to my amazement and I was given the compliment that it was the best icing of the night by my tutor, nice straight edges, and shiny, and glossy.
Who would have thought that I would ever get so delighted over a few simple iced fingers!
Chelsea buns went well and I presented the 4 buns joined together as I thought the individual buns had uncurled slightly from the spiral, hanging around waiting for judgement gave us all time for a chat and arrived back home about 10.15 pm, phew. It's not until you get home that you realise how tired you are.
Next week we are doing sweet pastry, puff pastry and maybe doughnuts Mmmmmm......can't wait.
Kids had an iced finger waiting for them when they came in from school. I've spent the afternoon since getting in from work rushing around like a loony catching up with all the things that didn't get done yesterday. Paella for dinner with a glass of wine as husband has told me he is bring one in with him, and then I plan to sit down and watch last nights bake-off whilst eating yet another Chelsea bun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment