Monday 28 October 2013

Almond and Orange cake

Yesterday I had an urge to make a dessert rather than a cake. On Friday evening to celebrate the start of half term for the children we splashed out and took them for a pizza. Well true to form D had spaghetti Bolognese rather than pizza, a true pizza snob he only likes homemade pizza baked at home! however when it came to desserts both children opted for the profiteroles filled with icecream and topped with hot chocolate sauce. The problem with children growing up is that they now eat adult meals, long gone are the childrens meal deals incorporating a dessert and a pud! So when it came to dessert I felt the need to refrain from the special of the day and convinced myself that I would be able to do a better job of it.
And so yesterday I made an almond and orange cake, (so moist it was almost dripping!) served warm with icecream. We ate it for dessert after a delicious cauliflower, chicken, bacon and mushroom pasta bake.
I used 250g of ground almonds with 50 g of plain flour with orange zest, butter and sugar, and when baked pour over an orange juice syrup and leave to cool slightly before serving. I recommend this for after a dinner party. And for the money I saved on dessert on Friday we all had a dessert on Sunday with left overs on Monday warmed slightly in the microwave for 15 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment